Skip to main content

Jack

"HARDY has never been just one thing; not just country, not just rock. Not just a songwriter, not just an artist. He’s a myriad talent with a gift for “synthesizing biography with imagination to create real storytelling” (Rolling Stone)". 
(hardyofficial.com / Oktober 10, 2022)

Big Loud Records is a record label from Nashville, whose parent company Big Loud was founded by songwriter Craig Wiseman and producer Joey Moi (among others) in 2013. Among its best known artists signed today are Morgan Wallen, Hardy and Jake Owen.

In August of 2021 the label extended its portfolio with the new imprint Big Loud Rock with the intention to offer talents in the rock genre a new platform. Shortly after, Hardy was moved to the new imprint. Which means, that his second solo album "the mockingbird & THE CROW", recently announced for January of 2023, will be released via Big Loud Rock.

After all, this is not all that surprising if we look at the songs Hardy has released over the past 12 months. They prove, that his enthusiasm for rock music is not just lip service. Just listen to the cover song 'Blurry' of the Rock Band Puddle of Mudd, or 'Sold Out', for which he even was a co-writer.

On September 30, 2022 Hardy added another piece to this repertoire by releasing the "first true rock song he's released", as his homepage puts it. It is titled 'Jack' and was actually written before 'Sold Out', even though the latter is already out. "It kind of got the ball rolling", says Hardy in reference to the meaning of 'Jack' on his rock music ambitions.

And yet, one cannot deny the country roots of the song, as the lyrics play such an important role for it. Written by Hardy, Hillary Lindsey and David Garcia, the song exemplifies a brilliant expression of songwriting skills. For it not only describes relatable life circumstances, but does so with unexpected twists, which grab the listener and don't let him off the hook.

Just to top it off with an overlying theme, which gives the song depth and lets the listener reflect. Or as Hardy puts it: "I love the story it tells — it’s got some deep undertones about alcohol and how it can have a strong grip on people and can really bring you down. I hope people can kind of read through that lyric and understand it."

--- Cut ---

Daniel Lee comes from Athens, Georgia and released his first album ("Roots" on the small label Average Joes Entertainment) in 2014. With his slogan "It's not Rock. It's not Country. It's Southern." he was hoping to secure himself a safe niche-position between southern rock and country.

Even though his autobiographical and as explicit marked 'Southern Mother Fucker' with it's lament of falling between the cracks, holds over 10 mio. streams on Spotify, his career breakthrough has not happened yet. Today he is without a record deal makes a living for himself and his family from a regular job, while clinging to his passion by playing in clubs and bars throughout the south. And by consistantly writing and self releasing new music. Such as the 'Dirty Thangs' cut from September 2022, which sounds like a close kin to a ZZ Top song.

"Songwriting is probably the most important thing to me," he says. "It is the reason why I am an artist. I could go a day without playing a guitar or without singing, but I’m constantly writing something down either in my head, on a piece of paper or on the computer. I look at life as music." In December of 2017 he released proof of his excellence in songwriting with a song simply titled 'Whiskey'. It's not until in the middle of the song, that one realizes, that the person talking about their origin and life is not a real person, but instead the whiskey himself.

I come from the mountains of Tennessee
and the Blue Ridge Hills in Kentucky,
I was outlawed before I was even born,
riding in trucks, trains and rusty floor boards.
 
Fill me up to the top of your glass,
I'll put you on your knees or on your ass,
boy you want to talk about fame,
I bet you won't forget my name.
 
Well, they love to chase me, hate to waste me,
when ever somethings wrong I'm the one they blame.
Let's celebrate here's to me and this lesson in my history,
my name is whiskey.
(Whiskey / Daniel Lee)

Hardy's 'Jack' sounds like an extended, more sophisticated follow-up to 'Whiskey'. It also personifies the whiskey. But while the title itself is not part of the chorus in Hardy's version, it actually gets only one singular mention in the entire song - as the very last word of it all. Hence revealing the identity of friend Jack, who is so insistently trying to endear himself: as the Jack Daniels.

The songwriters describe easily relatable situations, but at the same time reveal with sublety the role, that alcohol plays in all of those innocent looking moments. A role that seems good and supportive at first sight, but eventually leads to distress and dependence, of which the ever more boisterous sound production leaves not doubt. Destructive consequences, that eventually fall in well with the video concept for the clever song and bring it full circle.

Hey, kid, let me introduce myself
I's a friend of your dad's when he had no one else
I'll put the party in your life boy you know I can
Have you ever wanted to feel like superman?

I see that blonde hair over there looking at you
You wanna say "what's up" but can't work up the courage to
But if you stick with me buddy you can bet your life
She'll be walking out with you by the end of the night.

All the people in your circle, man, they're pissing me off
Say you're broken and you're soulless and it's all my fault
So tell me, old friend, is it such a sin?
All I did was make you happy, so to hell with them, and

Don't listen to momma, hell I ain't the devil
Ditch me when you wanna but if you need a little
I can fix your problems, always got your back
I can make you famous, by the way my name is ...
Jack!
 (Jack / David Garcia, Hillary Lindsey, Michael Hardy)
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Damn Strait

"In 1981, after several failed attempts at a recording contract, the group made one last trip to Music City, resolving, 'If it doesn't happen this time, it will be our last try.' By year's end, George Strait would make his major label debut with the release of Strait Country." ('Damn Strait' / youtube.com, February 9, 2022)

A Glitch and a Fast Car

"The Nelson Mandela 70th Tribute Concert was held on June 11, 1988 at the Wembley Stadium, London. To celebrate Nelson Mandela, the biggest stars performed songs of freedom, hope and love in front of 72,000 people at the Wembley Stadium and more than 600 million television viewers from 60 countries who watched the broadcast. Then Tracy Chapman burst out there performing Fast Car." (about-tracy-chapman.net / Marc Cooper, Q Magazine, September 1988)

Playlist: Live Like You Were Dying

"He said I was in my early 40's, With a lot of life before me, And a moment came that stopped me on a dime. I spent most of the next days, lookin' at the x-rays, Talkin' 'bout the options and talkin' 'bout sweet time." (Live Like You Were Dying / C. Wiseman, T. Nichols)